In keeping with our ethos of care for health and the environment, all catering at Buckland Hall follows a lacto-vegetarian cuisine. We use milk and dairy items, but no other animal products. We try to ensure that produce is local, fresh and, often, organic. Our chefs will be happy to discuss your requirements and to devise a specific menu and schedule for your stay.
Vegan and gluten-free alternatives can be available for every meal. However, we must be notified of these or other dietary requirements before your event. Some special diets may involve a surcharge.
We pride ourselves on our delicious and wholesome home-made soups. Here are just a few of our favourites.
- Roasted parsnip and apple with baby herb croutons
- Tuscan white bean tomato and garlic with fresh basil
- Chunky butternut squash, ginger and apple with garlic croutons and crème fresh
- A rich full-flavoured home-made wild mushroom, garlic and bean pate with fresh thyme on mini toast with an orange, cranberry and port sauce
- Butternut squash, feta and polenta roast, served with a spicy tomato, parsley and tarragon sauce
- Camembert in a seasoned batter served with baby red chard salad and a cranberry and port dressing
- Welsh Pantysgawn soft goats cheese and black olive tapenade on toasted crostini, topped with a strawberry walnut, grape and beetroot salad
- Welsh rarebit of roasted Portobello mushroom topped with a traditional Cheddar, beer and mustard melt and served with a balsamic radish and watercress dressing
- Aubergine, courgette and feta cheese roulade topped with pine nuts, on a roasted squash base and served with an intense Italian puttanesca sauce (rustic Italian sauce with garlic, tomatoes, black olives and a little chilli )
We have a unique selection of individual home-made pies designed to look great and taste amazing for a main dish:
- Portobello mushroom, walnut and sweet potato served with red pepper sauce
- Sautéed Quorn, mushroom and leek served with a white wine sauce
- Authentic Greek moussaka with halloumi cheese.
Some of our other main dishes
- Classic Italian rotolo featuring fresh asparagus, courgette and red peppers encased with garlic potatoes and puff pastry served with a classic red pepper and white wine sauce
- Vegetarian Glamorgan sausages, on creamy mash and served with Blaenavon cheese sauce, red onion gravy, or a white wine and parsley sauce.
- Caramelised red onion and date syrup tartlet, sliced red onions sautéed gently with butter, syrup and fresh herbs, topped with crumbled stilton cheese.
- Oyster mushroom, garlic and chick-pea burger, deep-fried in a light batter and served on a brioche bun. Served with roasted butternut squash, sweet tomato, basil ketchup and triple-fried potato and sweet potato chips
- Sautéed Wild mushroom & Caerphilly cheese tart, served with a spring onion and white wine sauce
- Chocolate truffle, brandy and biscuit-base torte with chocolate shards and vanilla cream.
- Baked blueberry cheesecake served with coconut Chantilly cream
- White wine and lemon syllabub with the seasonal berries and shortbread
- Profiteroles topped with white and dark chocolate sauces and strawberries
- Tiramisu prepared with amaretti biscuits, Tia Maria liquor and fresh cream
- Rich chocolate fudge brownie served with chocolate sauce and ice cream
- Pear and almond clafoutis with crème anglais
A selection of herbals, teas & coffee along with whole fruit and biscuits are available in the library at all times day & night. All water within the building is provided from our own spring well and tastes much better than anything you’ll ever buy in a bottle.